ZAMBIANS DEMAND ANSWERS
…Kafwaya’s killing received with shock, fear, anger.
By Thandizo Banda
ZAMBIANS are demanding clear answers from government over the killing of former Lunte member of Parliament Mutotwe Kafwaya in a joint raid by defence and security forces at a residential property with some describing his death as extrajudicial and brutal.
Main opposition leader Brian Mundubile, who challenged President Hakainde Hichilema in last week’s general election, is now demanding the constitution of an independent commission of inquiry into the fatal shooting of Kafwaya.
Mundubile said an independent commission of inquiry should be constituted now that Inspector General of Police Graphael Musamba has confirmed the killing of Kafwaya during an operation conducted at his (Mundubile’s) Kabulonga residence on Thursday night.
“Now that Mr Musamba has confirmed the killing of my brother, a friend Kafwaya, I demand an independent inquiry to look into his killing,” he said.
Zambians – opposition leaders, clergymen, civil society organisations and ordinary citizens – received the state’s confirmation of Kafwaya’s killing by the state with shock and fear, although supporters of the ruling party have been defending the shooting.
Socialist Party (SP) president Dr Fred M’membe described the killing as frightening, saddening and annoying.
Dr M’membe said the news had sent a chill down the spines of many Zambians.
In a statement, he sent special condolences to Kafwaya’s widow, Dini, children, family and friends.
He said the growing and unbridled political divisions and intolerance had led to the killing of Kafwaya.
“Unfortunately, the growing and unbridled political divisions and intolerance in our country’s politics have led to this bloody drama,” Dr M’membe said.
“No doctrine, no election dispute, no principle or proclaimed political position, and division in the nation can justify atrocious acts such as the physical elimination of Kafwaya and any other citizen who might have died with him. No crime can be committed in the name of elections or law enforcement.”
He called for sobriety, humanity and justice to prevail.
Organised People’s Party leader Dr Brian Mushimba also condemned the killing as “heartbreaking and senseless”.
“Waking up to the most heartbreaking news of the loss of Hon Mutotwe Kafwaya in the most senseless way,” Dr Mushimba said.
He said politics should be a contest of ideas, not violence, and described the death as extremely painful.
“Trust has been broken and not sure how it will be rebuilt. A red line has been crossed,” he said.
Dr Mushimba urged government to provide full details of the incident for closure to the family and the nation.
Citizens First (CF) president Harry Kalaba said the circumstances surrounding Kafwaya’s killing raised serious questions.
Kalaba called for the matter to be reported to the International Criminal Court (ICC).
“The circumstances surrounding his passing have raised serious questions and concerns across the nation. At a time when citizens deserve clarity, transparency and reassurance, it is important that the facts are established and communicated openly,” he said.
Kalaba demanded to know who ordered the shooting of unarmed civilians.
“Who authorised the operation? What rules of engagement were applied? Why was lethal force used? And why was the nation deliberately misled in the immediate aftermath? Given the gravity of the circumstances and the apparent failure of domestic accountability mechanisms, we call for this matter to be reported to the International Criminal Court so that the family may be afforded the necessary international legal representation and support in pursuing justice,” he said.
Reverend Walter Mwambazi described the killing of Kafwaya as a dark day for Zambia.
“This is a dark day for Zambia. Why, surely why? I need to process this,” he said in a Facebook post.
Civil rights activist Laura Miti wondered why the government had kept the death of Kafwaya a secret for many days.
“In all ways, inexplicably wrong, government, firstly, not informing the family and, secondly, the public that Mr Kafwaya was dead. Now, until the suspects that are in custody are taken to court and evidence advanced, we the public have no way of knowing if the state had the right to storm that house,” she said in her Facebook post.
Miti demanded disclosure about the death of Kafwaya and what transpired.
“The public must know how Mr Kafwaya died and everything surrounding the raid and other arrests. That, however, is a different matter from keeping the death of any person secret, as his family publicly begs for information. In this case, it is not just anyone. It is a former Minister. There is absolutely no justification,” she said.
She said government officials were involved in the whole scheme to hide the death of Kafwaya.
“What makes it worse is the deliberate misinformation that tried to suggest there was nothing for the public to worry about. My guess is the decision, to keep the public in the dark, was made at the highest levels of government, intelligence and police. There lies responsibility. The mind spins and heart breaks for the Kafwaya family,” said Miti.
Many ordinary Zambians have taken to social media to express their view.
Hichilema has alleged that the raid on Mundubile’s home and subsequent use of lethal force by the state were aimed at arresting members of the opposition leader’s militia.
But Mundubile has dismissed the claim describing it as part of a smear campaign against him and his officials to justify a brutal crackdown on the opposition.








