Frail Findlay brought to court, finally
By Adrian Mwanza
INCARCERATED Lusaka businessman Harry Valden Findlay yesterday appeared before Lusaka High Court judge Lameck Mwale after the family obtained an order for habeas corpus.
Findlay, who looked frail and weak, arrived at the High Court around 11:00 hours, much to the excitement of his relatives who had been in the dark about his whereabouts.
His lawyer Milner Katolo said his client had been charged with prohibition against financing terrorism under the Anti-Terrorism Act.
Katolo said Justice Mwale had recused himself from handling the case, citing professional reasons.
“After a lot of gymnastics, we have seen him. But the habeas corpus has not been heard since the judge has recused himself,” he said.
Katolo said Findlay’s case was straightforward because he had been in custody for over 48 hours.
“We are now waiting for the case to be reallocated to a new judge who will deal with the case. As I said, judge Mwale has recused himself,” he said.
Katolo said Findlay’s detention was illegal because the charge had clear specifications, which was not the case with his situation.
He said Findlay was unwell as his blood pressure kept shooting up while his sugar levels had dropped drastically, posing a serious threat to his life.
“He looks frail, as you have seen him, and he told me that his blood pressure shot up and his sugar levels dropped. We just hope the matter will be expeditiously dealt with so that he gets proper healthcare,” he said.
Findlay was arrested on August 4.







